Friday, October 2, 2015

Week 2 Topic 1: Twitter is the worst!

       So there’s no hiding that I don’t use Twitter or any social media sites, but for this class, I did start an account. So if I had to follow people/organizations it wouldn’t be many but here is a few. First and foremost, the Green Bay Packers, for I am as big of a fan as one can get. I do read my Packers news every day from google and if I wanted more in depth updates than that, I would follow them on Twitter. The second thing on Twitter that I would follow is John Oliver. There are many reasons why I like his show even better than “The Daily Show” or what used to be “The Colbert Report,” but mainly it is John Oliver himself. I like his character on “Community” and his British minded takes on American issues is a little refreshing from the ordinary nonsense that most shows spit out. Also, I like that he exposes some of the things in America and the world that are inhumane, unfair, or just funny. Finally the last thing I would follow is Fallout News because I am a huge Fallout (video game) fan. When Fallout first came out in the mid 90’s, I loved it and when they decided to revive the brand with Fallout 3, it became my favorite game. It is very in depth and very interactive, so beginner gamers my find it difficult. Fallout 4 is said to be released on November 10th and I will get it, but I won’t stand in line for a night or two like the WoW gamers do.
                
              Let’s be clear, I wouldn’t tweet anything but I think that the recent tweet by @MarsPhoenix was pretty important and should be talked about. The exact tweet was “Are you ready to celebrate? Well, get ready: We have ICE!!!!! Yes, ICE, *WATER ICE* on Mars! w00t!!! Best day ever!!” Although this discovery is super huge, it’s not really news in my opinion. Anyone with two eyes and a little knowledge about Mars could have told you there was ice at the polar caps of Mars. According to Space.com, Mars’ temperature during the day can reach 70 degrees F and -200 F at night and that frost forms over night. The pictures that show the blueish-white stuff at the caps have been out for over a decade and look not unlike the ice we have at our poles, and scientists also believe that Mars did have water at one time, so the fact that they announced there is ice there is not news to me.

                
               I don’t disagree with Shirky in that these platforms of interaction may empower some but definitely not all in my opinion. One may use Facebook or Twitter to learn about, stand behind, and even hate local representatives. Although, I have no faith in our system to begin with, for it has become a situation of who can spend the most money or, “campaign” as they call it, wins the race. On the other hand, these platforms can help people protest an issue they feel strongly about or enlighten one about an upcoming U2 concert that they’re JN201 professor didn’t know about. It can also update you on an injury your favorite athlete suffered or prevent you from getting a job because you have images or videos of you playing Edward Fortyhands (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Fortyhands). I don’t use or want to use social media like most do, but I do see that they can be used for good.


No comments:

Post a Comment