Thursday, October 29, 2015

Week 5 Topic 1 & 2


                If one looks up Justin Bieber’s troubled life on the net, they’ll find stuff about drugs, vandalism, and how he’s dropped the “N-bomb” featuring the hard E-R on several occasions. That is unacceptable to me, for I’m not from Oregon and I actually have black friends. The hypocrisy of this kid is apparent, for there are many photos of him kickin’ it with many different black people like Oprah, Puff Daddy, Michael Strahan, Usher, and Drake. His racist comments on black people went too far. Not much can be done, except for those who do like him, should maybe question why and stop buying his music.
               
        One thing I found alarming in RiP, was the amount of money that the documentary would’ve had to pay for using copyrighted songs. I think a little gratuity may be in order but not 4 million dollars. One concern I have with copyright laws is not that much of an issue anymore and that is the record companies profiting more off of a musician than the musicians themselves. I like the artist not the label. I agree with a lot of what is in RiP to an extent. I grew up in a time where one had to pay for the cd they thought was going to be so good, for it to turn out to be a dud. I’m glad there are other options today.

Katherine,

Because we need to do a comment for next week’s blog that involves others, I think this post is super important and deserves another comment. After reading your post, it made me think of that movie "Precious" from 2009. It’s about a girl who isn't Google's definition of beautiful and struggles with confidence. I think Hollywood needs to use actresses who don't fit that mold, so we as people can evolve past shallowness. I really like how you brought attention to something that we don’t hear enough. Google’s definition of beauty is very shallow, so the fact that Dove is shattering that image is a great thing. Women have often been held to an unrealistic standard when it comes to appearance and makes some feel inferior for not fitting that mold.   I also came across a Men's version of the sketches that the women had. I soon realized it was a parody, but it shows the hypocrisy between gender expectations. Although I can’t make a link in your comments, I will provide the address: Here.





No comments:

Post a Comment